Notice of Marriage and Civil Partnership
IMPORTANT - Please note that we are not able to take bookings for weddings at The Civic Suite from the 01/05/18. This is due to exciting plans to move the service to a new location.
Before you can marry or enter into a civil partnership you and your partner must first give notice of marriage/civil partnership - please note: a civil partnership can only be between two people of the same sex.
Important: You must know where you are getting married / having your civil partnership when you attend your Notice appointment.
- When to give notice
- Where to give notice
- How to make an appointment
- What you need to know and bring
- What happens at the appointment
- Getting married abroad
- Further information
- Arrangements for those subject to immigration - if you are subject to immigration we can see you even if you do not live in Haringey
- You can give notice up to 12 months before your ceremony date
- All couples getting married must give notice a minimum 29 days before the ceremony date
- If one or both partners are subject to immigration that may be extended to 70 days. See our subject to immigration page for more info
Please allow enough time to get an appointment - waiting time for an appointment can be over two months in some areas. We currently have low waiting times for appointments
Don’t let a long wait for appointments or the notice period spoil your day – make your appointment as soon as possible.
If you have been a resident of Haringey for at least the last seven days, or if you or your partner are subject to immigration we can take your notice at Haringey Civic Centre.
Haringey Civic Centre
If driving, or to print out a map, use post code N22 9SB.
Please arrive at least 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. We are 5 minutes away from Wood Green Underground Station on the Piccadilly Line.
Appointments are available Monday to Friday, 9.30am-4pm, and on Saturday mornings.
If you are a Haringey resident, or are subject to immigration control, please book your appointment online:
Or, call us on 020 8489 2605
If your preferred date is not available, the booking system will offer you an appointment for the next available date.
Appointments are scheduled for most Saturday mornings. These appointments are made available up to three months ahead. Demand is high and appointments can book up quickly. Customers are seen strictly by appointment only on Saturdays. Additional fees apply for Saturday appointments. These additional fees are taken at the time of your appointment if you book online.
If you have had an overseas divorce or require an interpreter, please book a weekday appointment as we may not be able to help you on a Saturday, or we may need you to attend a follow up appointment. This could incur an additional charge.
You will need to know:
- The venue for your ceremony (note that venues cannot be changed once Notice has been given)
- It is useful but not essential to know when you would like your ceremony
- The name of the town and country where the ceremony will take place if abroad
- The correct spelling of names for you and your partner
- You and your partners full addresses and post codes
- Each others job titles
You will need to bring evidence of the following to your appointment:
- Proof of address (bank statements must be less than one month old. Utility bills must be dated within the last three months)
- Passport size photograph for each partner if you are subject to immigration and do not have Indefinite Leave to Remain
- Details of any divorce/proof of previous marriage or civil partnership being dissolved
- Evidence of any change of name
- Payment for your ceremony if it is taking place in Haringey, please see the Register Office Fees page for current charges
The easiest way to satisfy us of the above is to present your passport along with a recent gas, electricity, landline phone bill (less than three months old) or bank statement (less than one month old). Documents printed from the internet are acceptable.
Please see our Documents needed to give notice of marriage/civil partnership page for a complete list of which documents are and are not accepted.
Please also bring with you the notice fee and fees for any wedding or civil partnership ceremony that you wish to book. Please note that if you are late or come with incomplete documents for your appointment you will need to rebook and pay for a new appointment. This may be some time later.
Our Subject to immigration page gives guidance to couples where one or both partners are not EU / EEA nationals.
The fees to give notice are:
|Couples where one or both are subject to immigration||Couples where both are not subject to immigration|
|Monday to Friday||£47 per person||£35 per person|
|Saturdays||£62 per person (including weekend fee)||£50 (including weekend fee)|
This fee is non-refundable, unless the appointment is cancelled or changed at least two clear working days before.
A fee of £35 per person is taken online or £35 / £50 per person by phone at the time of booking. Additional fees for Saturday appointments and for people subject to immigration are collected at the time of your appointment.
The Superintendent Registrar or one of his deputies will ask both you and your partner a series of questions about each other to establish details of both parties and where and when the wedding or civil partnership is to take place.
At your appointment you will need to know where you are having your ceremony. If you later change the venue you will need to give new notices (and pay) and start the process again.
Each partner will be interviewed separately.
We will ask to see the evidence listed above in the What you need to bring section.
When a couple or one of the parties is travelling abroad to get married or form a civil partnership, please visit the Marriage outside England and Wales page for more information.
Please also check in plenty of time with the foreign consulate and British Embassy or High Commission for local requirements.
The Government has issued further guidance on giving notice on the gov.uk website (external link).
You can fill in our marriage enquiry form if you have a general enquiry or call us on 020 8489 2605.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
We are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 4.30pm. The office is closed from 1pm on the first Thursday of the month, every month for training purposes.