Nationality Checking Service
We offer the Nationality Checking Service (NCS) for people applying for British Citizenship. We have a central location in Wood Green North London only five minutes from Wood Green Underground Station on the Piccadilly Line.
- Please note: we are not allowed by law to give immigration advice or help with filling in the application form. This service is not available to people that use the online application form.
This service includes:
- Making sure your application form is correctly filled in and going through a series of screening questions with you
- Copying and certifying your documents so that you can keep originals including your passport (please do not bring photocopies to your appointment)
- Please note the following:
- It is your responsibility to ensure that the correct documents are submitted. If necessary contact the Home Office for further advice before making an appointment with us
- Original Life in UK test, ESOL or medical reports must be sent
- Submitting your application by secure post
The Nationality Checking Service (NCS) is only for people applying to become British Citizens. This service is not for people applying for permanent residence, settlement or Indefinite Leave to Remain. Haringey Council does not offer the Settlement Checking Service (SCS) or the European Passport Return Service (external link) for people that are applying for permanent residence / settlement.
Please read through this page carefully and refer to the Home Office if you need further help and support before making an appointment. We regret that we are unable to offer immigration advice or help people complete their forms.
Did you know only 2% of nationality applications submitted through NCS are rejected, compared to around 10% of applications sent directly to the Home Office? The NCS service does not guarantee a successful application for citizenship and you should only make an application once you are satisfied that you are eligible. If in doubt, speak to the Home Office to avoid risking over £1,000.
Please note: if you fail to bring any of the relevant documents you will be required to book and pay for another appointment. Please check with the Home Office if you are unsure what documents you need. Please fully prepare by completing your application form and gathering together all of the documents and evidence that you need. There is no need to bring in copies of your documents as we will copy and certify them. You must also read and understand all Home Office information including both of the following documents:
- Home Office Guidance Notes
- The Requirements Booklet
Please also read any other information that the Home Office supplies. Everything you need can be accessed on the Home Office website (external link).
- You can book an appointment online. Please have your payment card details to hand when you book
Please note that we do not offer NCS appointments at weekends. If you choose a weekend date or the date you would like is not available you will be offered the next available date.
On the day of the appointment all adult applicants will need to come with their completed application forms and all the supporting documents.
Home Office fees must be paid by Cheque or Credit card.
- Adult Application: £56 each Monday to Friday (if you book online the system will ask you to pay £55 and an additional £1 per person will be collected at the time of your appointment)
- Minors application (children under 18 years): £46 each (£16 will be collected per child at the time of appointment if not collected already)
- Payment is collected at time of booking by card
You can find out more information about gaining British citizenship and the application form by visiting the Home Office website (external link).
Enquiries can be sent to the Home Office to Nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
For help booking a Life in the UK Test please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (external link) or call 0800 015 4245.
Assuming that your NCS application is successful the Home Office will write to you asking for you to arrange a Citizenship Ceremony. This ceremony will take place in the borough where you live unless you opt on your application form to have your ceremony elsewhere. If you would like your ceremony in Haringey at our Wood Green Council Chamber please write this on your application form. Our venue is situated 5 minutes from Wood Green Underground Station which offers a quick journey into Central London should you need to go to work afterwards. We do a ceremony almost every Friday at 10am and you can usually have your ceremony within seven days of being approved by the Home Office.
Avoiding long waits
Benefit from one of our weekly Citizenship Ceremonies. Get your Certificate of Naturalisation without a long wait for a ceremony.
To book Haringey as the venue for your Citizenship Ceremony and avoid a possible long wait for your Citizenship Ceremony please write, Haringey Register Office, Civic Centre, High Road, Wood Green, London, N22 8LE when completing your citizenship application form. You can do this even if you use the NCS service of another borough or if you do not live in the borough.
Contact and where we are
Appointments take place at the Haringey Register Office within Haringey Civic Centre on Wood Green High Road. Our postcode for use in SatNavs is N22 9SB. We are only 5 minutes walk from Wood Green Underground Station on the Piccadilly Line.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
We are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 4.30pm. The office is closed from 1pm on the first Thursday of the month, every month for training purposes.