Please note: Haringey Register Office will be closed for staff training on Tuesday 7 November, 11am to 12 noon - our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Registering a Birth
Did you know...
...that a baby is registered where they are born and not where the parents live?
- If your baby was born at the North Middlesex Hospital please contact Enfield Council (external link)
- If your baby was born at the Whittington Hospital please contact Islington Council (external link)
- If your baby was born at home or en route to hospital in Haringey, we can register the birth for you: book an appointment
- Where and when to register your baby
- Who should register a birth
- Information required for registering a birth
- Supply of certificates from the historic records
- Family history
Congratulations on the birth of your new baby!
You can make an appointment online to register your baby as soon as he or she has been born.
You only have 42 days to register the birth. Please book an appointment as soon as your baby has been born to ensure you register the birth in time.
Please note: Birth registration appointments are not available at weekends. If your first choice of date is not available the online booking system will offer you the next available date. Please take care to book the correct date.
Babies must be registered within 42 days by the borough where the baby was born. Details of the main hospitals where babies born to people living in Haringey are shown below:
|North Middlesex or Chase Farm||Enfield (external link)||020 8379 8501|
|Whittington||Islington (external link)||020 7527 6350|
|University College or Royal Free||Camden (external link)||020 7974 1900|
|Whipps Cross||Waltham Forest (external link)||020 8496 2716|
If your baby was born in Haringey please call us on 020 8489 2605 to make an appointment to see us at Haringey Civic Centre. We will aim to offer you an appointment the same week that you call us.
If your baby was not born in Haringey please contact the borough where the baby was born using the numbers above to make an appointment.
Registration by declaration
We offer a free birth declaration service. This service is offered strictly by appointment and only to people that are unable or who find it inconvenient to visit the borough of the baby's birth. Please book your appointment online.
- Please note that we prioritise people coming in to register deaths and you may have to wait if a death comes in. Thank you for your understanding in advance
You will need to allow an additional two to three weeks from the date you see us in order for the borough of the baby's birth to send you the birth certificate. You will need to contact the area where your baby was born to confirm how they would like to receive payment. We cannot accept payment for other register offices.
Either parent can register a birth if they were married to each other at the time of the baby's birth.
If parents are not married, the mother must register. If the father's details are to be entered into the register, then both parents need to attend.
Please bring the babies Red Book or discharge paperwork when attending your appointment. A payment of £4 (from 1/11/17) is required for each short or long birth certificate. For Haringey births this fee can be paid by bank card at the time of your appointment. Please note that from 1/11/17 short birth certificates are no longer free.
Information about the baby and the mother is required. Information about the father is required only if the father's name is to be entered.
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Surname (you may give whatever surname you wish).
- Full name
- Place of birth
- Occupation (or previous surname, if applicable).
- Full name
- Place of birth
We can supply copies of births, deaths and marriage certificates that have taken place in Haringey since 1837. Copies of full certified birth, marriage and death certificates are £10, or £10 for short birth certificates. Additional charges apply for same day service when available.
You can apply for these by:
- Calling us on 020 8489 2605 (you may need to leave a message to be called back at busy times)
- Personal application during opening hours. It may not be possible to issue certificates straight away.
- Applications will be dealt with immediately on receipt of the application and fee. If applying by post, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope or add an additional £1 for UK and £6 for international post. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to the 'London Borough of Haringey'.
- Certificates directly from the General Register Office
The General Register Office (GRO) holds records on births, deaths and marriages across the whole of England and Wales. Certificates can be requested from GRO online (external link)
For more extensive family history researches, please complete our birth enquiry form or ring 020 8489 2605 for an appointment. The fee for a general search is £18.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
We are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 4.30pm. The office is closed from 1pm on the first Thursday of the month, every month for training purposes.