Better environmental management can cut costs, attract new customers and improve staff productivity.
The things that are good for the environment, such as reducing carbon emissions, increasing recycling and using less of the Earth's natural resources, are good for your business too.
Read the factsheets below for information on sustainable business including; environmental legislation, cost saving, where to access free support and resources to help your business go green.
Simple low cost measures can reduce fuel bills by as much as 20 percent - Carbon Trust
Reducing energy use is one of the easiest ways to cut carbon emissions from your business and save money. Download the Energy Factsheet (PDF, 190KB) to reduce your business' energy bill, claim tax relief on purchases of energy efficient equipment and more.
Write An Environmental Policy
An environmental policy shows that your business is committed to reducing its impact on the environment. It can help your business to gain more custom, and is often a requirement when tendering for contracts to supply goods and services.
Download the Environmental Policy Factsheet (PDF, 155KB) below to find out:
- how to write an environmental policy
- where to find examples of environmental policies
- the council's environmental requirements if you wish to tender for a contract to supply goods or services to the council
Recycling and Waste
Businesses of all sizes can save as much as 4 percent of their turnover through low-cost or no-cost measures to reduce waste - Envirowise
Businesses have a legal responsibility to dispose of waste safely and within the law. Download the Waste Duty of Care Factsheet (PDF, 147KB) to read about:
- your business' legal responsibilities with regard to waste including duty of care regulations and pre-treatment regulations
- how recycling can lower the cost of your waste collection and which materials your business can recycle
You can also read about Haringey Council's Commercial Recycling Service.
To find out more about cost saving through waste reduction download the Waste Less Save More Guide (PDF, 2MB) guide for North London businesses.
Business must ensure that their hazardous waste is disposed of correctly. Common items are classed as hazardous waste including:
- fluorescent lights
- TVs, fridges, computer equipment
- batteries including mobile phone and car batteries
- cleaning materials, explosive, toxic or flammable substances.
See the North London Waste Authority website - recycling electrical items (external link) to read about your responsibilities and for information on how to dispose of the hazardous waste your business produces.
Businesses can save over 30 percent of their water costs through simple, inexpensive measures to reduce water use - Envirowise
Download the Water Factsheet to find out how to:
- reduce your company’s water and energy bills
- order free water saving devices
- claim tax relief on purchases of water efficient products
Switching to more environmentally friendly products can benefit both the environment and your business.
Download the Responsible Purchasing Factsheet for:
- guidance on choosing sustainable products
- how sustainable procurement can cut your purchase costs and lower waste disposal costs.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.