Email alerts and RSS Feeds
Email alerts and newsletters:
- What is RSS?
- How to use RSS feeds
- What you need to view RSS
- RSS terms and conditions
- Useful RSS links
- Your privacy
You can now subscribe to the following email alerts and newsletters:
- Haringey Updates - tell us which topics you want us to email you about - this includes the option to sign up for Haringey People Extra - our weekly round up of news, events and more.
- Haringey news alerts by email (external link)
- Haringey consultation alerts by email (external link)
You can also subscribe to webcasts of meetings.
You may also want to sign up to the Met Office weather alerts (external link)
You can also get local planning and licensing applications, road works and incidents sent to your mobile phone using the Haringey Notiz mobile app.
RSS stands for 'Really Simple Syndication'. It allows you to select content you like on a site and have it delivered to you electronically.
Using RSS you can have the latest news and updates delivered directly to you, rather than clicking from site to site.
The following RSS feeds are available on our website:
- Haringey Council News
- Events for Children and Families
- Events for Young People
- Environmental/Green Events
- Events in Libraries
- Events in Tottenham
- What's on Today
- Highlighted events
To view RSS feeds you need something called a news reader. There are many different versions of these, some of which are accessed using a browser, and some of which are downloadable applications. All allow you to display and subscribe to the RSS feeds you want.
Once you have chosen a feed reader, you can begin to subscribe to the RSS feeds. Copy the news feed (or drag and drop the RSS button) into the newsreader.
The feed reader you choose will have full details on how to do this.
- Once you have chosen a news reader, all you have to do is to decide what content you want. For example, if you would like the Haringey latest news feed, visit the home page and you will notice an orange RSS button below the news headlines. This is the link to an xml file containing our latest news stories (www.haringey.gov.uk/rss_news).
- You can subscribe to the feed in various ways, including dragging the URL of the RSS feed into your news reader or by cutting and pasting the same URL into a new feed in your news reader.
There are many downloadable news readers available. Many are free of charge and more are appearing all the time. Here are some of the popular ones:
You can also view feeds if you have an RSS enabled web browser.
Some browsers, including Firefox, Opera, Safari and Internet Explorer version 7, have functionality which automatically picks up RSS feeds for you. For more details on these, please check their websites.
Online RSS reader services
Alternatively, you can sign up to an online RSS service (type 'RSS news readers' into your search engine for a list of options).
By using our web feeds, you are deemed to have read and accepted our terms and conditions of use.
For more detail about RSS visit the following websites:
- RSS in Plain English - video by commoncraft (external link)
- RSS specification at Harvard University (external link)
- Wikipedia's RSS article (external link).
If you subscribe to an email alert service Haringey Council will only use the email address you provide for the purpose(s) that you provided it for. Clear instructions on how to unsubscribe will be available in each email.
See also the:
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.