Reuse and Recycling Centres
Haringey's two Reuse and Recycling Centres are open to the public as a free service. Some residents may know these facilities as 'the dump' or 'the tip'.
Staff are on hand to help residents separate their waste into items for recycling or reuse.
- Using the centres
- What items can I take?
- What items can't I take?
- Tottenham - location and opening times
- Western Road, Wood Green - location and opening times
- Contact the North London Waste Authority (NLWA)
The centres are open to everyone who needs to dispose of household waste.
Please note that there is a height restriction for vehicles entering the centres of 1.8m (6 feet).
If you're using a van
If you intend to use a van (any vehicle without seats fitted in the back including minibuses with seats removed and pick-up vehicles) to bring your waste or items for re-use and recycling, please call NLWA on the appropriate number below at least 24 hours prior to visiting the site as only pre-booked vans will be allowed to tip. You should take proof of residency and a form of identification (ID) when you visit.
- Park View Road, Tottenham: 020 8884 5613
- Western Road, Wood Green: 020 8884 5614
Each household can take a van to a Reuse & Recycling Centre up to five times a year.
Full details of the procedure, including the information you will be required to provide, are available on the NLWA website (external link).
Soil and rubble policy
From 4 January 2016 each household can take up to six standard sacks of soil and six standard sacks of rubble to a Reuse & Recycling Centre each month. A standard rubble sack is approximately 20” (50cm) by 30” (75cm).
Businesses are not permitted to use the Reuse and Recycling Centres. Traders have a Duty of Care under Section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act, 1990, to dispose of their waste and recycling in a legal and proper manner. Businesses should contact the Environment Agency for further information.
The list below shows the items that can be taken to the Reuse and Recycling Centres.
- Any household waste which is not recyclable, including bulky items like furniture, should be placed in the container marked General Waste.
- Please also note information on other ways to get rid of unwanted items:
- For information on the options for recycling a wide range of materials see What can I recycle?.
- Asbestos, solvents and pesticides will not be accepted at the Reuse and Recycling Centres. To arrange for a collection of these items please call the Corporation of London on 020 7606 3030. For further information, please visit our Hazardous and Clinical Waste Page.
- Gas cylinders and car tyres cannot be accepted at the Reuse and Recycling Centres but can be collected from your home at no cost. To arrange a collection contact the Veolia Haringey Contact Centre:
Tel: 020 8885 7700
- Japanese Knotweed cannot be accepted at the Reuse and Recycling Centres, and residents are asked to ensure that they do not put any of this plant material into the garden waste skips. Free collections of Japanese Knotweed for safe disposal are available - please see the Japanese Knotweed page for more information.
The Reuse and Recycling Centres have skips and containers for a wide range of items, to be passed on to other organisations to use or sent for recycling into new products.
However, there are other ways to get rid of unwanted items so that they can be reused or recycled, including materials that can only be put into the general waste skip if they are taken to the Reuse and Recycling Centres:
- There are tips and advice for reducing and reusing waste on the reducing your waste pages.
- What can I recycle? provides advice on how to get rid of a huge range of items and materials.
- Please note: Park View Road recycling centre in Tottenham will be closing from 23 October. Click here for more details.
Haringey's Reuse and Recycling Centre in Tottenham is on Park View Road, N17.
Park View Road Reuse and Recycling Centre is open:
- Monday to Sunday: 8.45am to 4.15pm
- The Centre is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday
Park View Road
The centre is clearly signposted from Monument Way.
Note: The centre cannot be accessed from Ashley Road N17.
© Crown copyright. All rights reserved LBH (100019199), 2008
Haringey's Reuse and Recycling Centre in Wood Green is located off Western Road, N22 6UG - just off Coburg Road.
- Monday to Sunday 8.45am to 4.15pm
- The centre is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday
© Crown copyright. All rights reserved LBH (100019199), 2008
For additional queries about the Reuse and Recycling Centres please contact the North London Waste Authority:
More recycling options
Many materials can be recycled using collection services directly from your home, and the council and its partners have also provided recycling banks for additional materials around the borough.
If you are keen to offer any items you are getting rid of to a school then you will need to arrange this directly with their staff. For a list of Haringey's schools, including contact information, please visit our education page.
Sourcing raw materials
The council is unfortunately not able to allow residents, businesses or other groups to take materials away from the Reuse and Recycling Centres.
If you are looking for a source of raw materials for an art project then the best route is often to make an arrangement with a school, community centre or business which may be able to collect the items you need separately.
If you run a business in the materials or recycling industry then please be aware that the council has contracts in place for the collection and treatment of all of the material collected at the Reuse and Recycling Centres, and will therefore not be able to enter into a new contract with your organisation.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.